Hell of a Summer
The spirit of the Silver Flame took hold of the hearts and souls of the people of Thrane seven hundred years ago, and this religious fervor remains the driving force behind the nation. Thrane was one of the original Five Nations founded by the human settlers of Khorvaire; the culture and heritage of the region goes back millennia. It was absorbed into the Kingdom of Galifar and remained a pillar of that celebrated kingdom for almost a thousand years. While the rest of the Five Nations followed the tenets of the Sovereign Host, a new religion found life in Thrane before spreading far and wide across Khorvaire. In the wake of the Last War, Thrane stands as a theocracy devoted to the Silver Flame.
When Jarot died and the scions broke with tradition and started the Last War, Thalin of Thrane saw another opportunity to spread the Silver Flame to the entire kingdom. While the other scions had more personal or philosophical reasons for refusing to honor the traditional rights of succession, Thalin believed that he had a divine right to the crown. This tendency on the part of Thrane to place itself above the rest of the shattered kingdom led to some of the most terrible battles of the Last War.
War remains a primary preoccupation for the nation of Thrane. To Jaela’s advisors and the other leaders within the theocracy, the current peace presents a chance to rest and prepare for future conflict. Until all nations have accepted the Silver Flame, there will always be enemies at their borders waiting to exploit the first show of weakness or hesitation.
Motto: ‘’Glory to the Silver Flame’’
Ruler: Jaela Daran, Keeper of the Silver Flame
Anthem: “Light the Way”
Heraldry: A silver sword set beneath the symbol of the Silver Flame.
Population: 17.8 million (70% human, 10% khoravar, 9% dwarf, 4% elf, 4% hobbit, 3% other)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Halfling
Area: 500’000 square miles.
Major Cities: Aruldusk, Sigilstar, Thaliost.
Exports: Fine crafts, wool, textiles, missionaries, fruit, livestock
Highest Point: Trumpet Mountain in the Starpeak Range, elevation 10’965.
Founder: Thalin, second scion of King Jarot.
Thranes usually have a personal name followed by a family-based surname.
Male: Alestair, Arrun, Andri, Calemi, Coref, Demodir, Drego, Drosin, Egen, Javi, Jeffin, Kaith, Lukar, Mizar, Ossul, Pentar, Rave, Sercyl, Sudro, Suthar, Syro, Taran, Tokorin, Urdan, Valtar, Vencyl, Verodin, Zoder.
Female: Avaliah, Beref, Chantalyn, Draci, Ghanji, Hariel, Heken, Imperi, Irulan, Jahanah, Kahlia, Lycia, Maradal, Margil, Melindri, Morgana, Narvala, Norah, Nyllestra, Sede, Suspiria, Taris, Thradi, Varikah.
Surnames: Aeyliros, Askarda, Atrelioth, Corliostor, Corus, Desekane, Drosin, Entarro, Eskeliendro, Ghastor, Hetrion, Imaradi, Irvallo, Karavastar, Krayci, Lerendazi, Marktaros, Neskus, Ovion, Ravadanci, Sarhain, Talandro, Tarravan, Teskelyndros, Vanatar, Vasiraghi.
Five Edicts of the Church of the Silver Flame:
1. Trust in the Silver Flame. The Voice of the Silver Flame never lies. It will light your way to glory and salvation.
2. Heed the words of the Keeper. The Keeper of the Flame is your emissary. Through the Keeper, the Silver Flame speaks.
3. Fight evil in all its forms. Not everyone can have the strength or conviction of a paladin, but there are many ways to fi ght evil that don’t require one to draw a sword. We must also remain vigilant, for the one thing evil does well is hide in plain sight.
4. Lead a noble life, and encourage others to do the same. Temptations abound, but the wisest of us can recognize and avoid them. If you die with a pure spirit, you will be forever bound with the Silver Flame.
5. Share the faith. The Silver Flame can purify the darkest spirit. Share the power of the Flame with those who have not yet embraced it.
The following turns of phrase are uniquely Thrane:
“Crooked!” – An expletive, similar to “drat!”
“Flame forgive me.” – An expression usually preceding or following a nasty curse or insult.
“What filth!” – An expression of discontent or an indication of nonsense, similar to “hogwash!”